Click Here to Apply as a Journalist
- Reporters, editors, writers, publishers; editorial and news cartoonists or artists; news photographers or videographers; producers, presidents or general managers; librarians, web masters or other editorial employees of a regularly issued news outlet that is supported by advertising, paid subscriptions or funded by a non-profit organization. (Organization must operate with editorial independence from any political, government, commercial or special interest and must be published for the primary dissemination of the news and cannot be a house organ of any organization or movement.)
- Journalism instructors, professors and deans at the college level.
- Non-fiction authors.
Questions about the application? Check the FAQ
Don't want to apply online?
Click here for the print version
Click Here to Apply as a Communicator
- Non-editorial employees such as business managers, advertising managers, circulation managers, promotion managers and system operators for qualified news outlets.
- Former journalists who are now retired or professionals who worked 5 of the past 10 years or at least 10 years total as a journalist.
- Current and retired press aides for foreign or domestic governments.
- News sources, including public relations and communications professionals, who have regular contact with the working press.
- Authors of books or plays, editors of books or film, poets, television or film script writers and book publishers.
Student members are enrolled full-time in undergraduate or graduate journalism programs; or work on campus publications, broadcast outlets or news internet sites; or intern or work part-time for qualified news outlets.
Building tenants are persons whose office of employment is located at the National Press Building and do not qualify for one of the other above categories.
The National Press Club provides discounted rates for non-resident, retired and young professional members.
Membership is subject to approval of the NPC membership committee and Board of Governors.
Non-Resident applicants who meet all membership eligibility and reside in and have their principal place of employment outside of the following areas: Washington, DC and the Maryland counties of Montgomery and Prince George’s; the Virginia counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, and Prince William; and the Virginia cities of Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church and Manassas.